Re: Filtering

> Yes, that's true: procmail is started only at the delivery. Anyway, I
> think the anti-filtering argument is convincing: the Unix philosophy
> says that it's MTA's duty to provide filtering, not MUA's. It's better
> to contribute a GUI setup tool to procmail (and possibly a way to
> start it also from balsa) than add this kind of code to balsa.

Don't get me wrong - I am not opposed to the idea of using procmail. But. If
Balsa is supposed to get to be an email client that can be used by the
majority of COMPUTER users (as opposed to the majority of LINUX users) then an
easy to configure filtering mechanism is essential.

Apart from that I'd like to add that filtering is not limited to filtering
messages to arrive - just imagine a folder with 3000+ messages where you want
to look through the 20 or so messages you received from one person. Then you
have to have a filtering mechanism anyway to only show the interesting
messages.

My favourite would be to implement an API much like the perl-API xchat
included so anybody could write filters if they'd like to. Including a
procmail hook, if should be. :-)

> Pawel

	Axel
--