New Developer

Okay, I've done a little bit of work so far in looking through the
threading model and there are some things I'd likely change.  For
example, sending_mail is a global member that many of the locks depend
on for locking and unlocking the mail thread, however, it is not locked
itself.  IMHO this is bad ;)

At any rate, I'm still going through a lot of the code, but I'm noticing
a lot of code that appears to be randomly commented out without any
comments as to why.  I'd think that deleting a lot of this would be good
from a coherency standpoint.  Opinions?

-eric