Re: Suggestion on participant registration

On Thu, 2011-02-10 at 19:43 +0800, Pockey Lam wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> Online Registration and quota
>
> After reviewing the past years figures (reference below), it seems the
> best way is to prepare lunch coupons and give to participants (who
> registered online in advance) on a first come first served basis.
> While the canteen charge us depend on the amount of coupons redeemed.
> This way, we will not waste any food or money :)

We are planning to have buffet during conference. Lets say we will ask
caterer to prepare food for 800 people. We will be issuing lunch coupons
to participants. We can pay caterer on per plate basis. So caterer will
charge on the basis of plates used by participants. This way we don't
have to worry about wastage of food. Caterer will take care of food.

> We should highlight this message on the registration page, "Only a
> limited amount of lunch coupons (300 - let's confirm a figure) will be
> given on each conference day on a first come first served basis. For
> participants without lunch coupons, please have lunch in the canteen
> (paid by yourself) :)
>
> Besides, I would suggest to open the registration for longer period
> say "until 1 week before the event day i.e. if we open registration on
> 1st March, we probably should close it on 20th March. We can consider
> not to set any quota as it's always better to have a lot of
> participants on the spot, for pictures, for the atmosphere, for
> everything

We are planning to go with http://doattend.com for online registration.
For example, the event page for registration will look like
http://tedxchennai.doattend.com/

Please check pricing http://doattend.com/pricing here. For example, if
we have registration fee Indian Rs 500 (~ $11) for delegates, we will
have to pay Indian Rs 40 (~ 90 cents) to doattend as processing fee.

We will limit online registration to 800 people (excluding 100 students
of Dayananda Sagar college for whom we planned to be free)

> Registration fee
>
> - Akhil and Bharath said they may consider charge registration fee
> online in order to attract them to actually join the conference
> - since the entrance fee is not a big amount, it will also depend on
> the transaction fee, akhil is checking the fee

We are planning to have 3 types of online registration. As we have
decided to have 2 days conference, we have increased the registration
amount little bit.

1) Student          - Indian Rs 250 (~ $5)
2) Delegate         - Indian Rs 500 (~ $11)
3) Corporate Delete - Indian Rs 2000 (~ $44)

Speakers, Conference committee and students of Dayananda sagar Institute
will have to register on spot as they won't be charged anything.

I am not sure how will we handle delegates who are from sponsored
companies ?

Besides them who ever register on spot will have to pay Indian Rs 800 (~
$17).

> - in order to attract participants to register online in advance, we
> may also consider to set some rules e.g.
>  a) lunch coupons will not be given to those who didn't registered
> online
>  b) the entrance fee for walk-in participants will be higher (e.g. 50%
> higher)

There are two more sub-events (Student Training and How to make money by
GNOME) which will require registration and if we want them to be covered
in online registration, we may have to create a separate page.

Please let me know your thoughts. By next week, we should have our
registration system up and running.

Thanks,
Akhil