Re: Suggestion on participant registration

Dear Akhil,

Thanks for your feedbacks!

On 02/11/2011 01:47 PM, Akhil Laddha wrote:
We are planning to have buffet during conference. Lets say we will ask
caterer to prepare food for 800 people. We will be issuing lunch coupons
to participants. We can pay caterer on per plate basis. So caterer will
charge on the basis of plates used by participants. This way we don't
have to worry about wastage of food. Caterer will take care of food.
sure! do you mean "charge by head / person"? and charge per coupon they received?
otherwise why would participants need a coupon for? :)

We are planning to go with http://doattend.com for online registration.
For example, the event page for registration will look like
http://tedxchennai.doattend.com/

Please check pricing http://doattend.com/pricing here. For example, if
we have registration fee Indian Rs 500 (~ $11) for delegates, we will
have to pay Indian Rs 40 (~ 90 cents) to doattend as processing fee.

We will limit online registration to 800 people (excluding 100 students
of Dayananda Sagar college for whom we planned to be free)
the plan sounds good
it should also depends on the venue capacity, and whether we will have 2 tracks or 3 tracks.
what's the capacity of each track? and the total capacity if we have 2 tracks (1 big hall and 1 smaller hall) ?

Based on our experience, we should always allow at least 30 to 40% more participants to register online in order to get to our target participants. But the reference figure I gave was when we didn't charge their entrance fee online.
It maybe good to know the figure of foss.in or other paid event to see their ratio of online registration and attendance.

So I would suggest either we don't limit online-registration at all, or we give a limit  based on the venue capacity plus a percentage (e.g. at least 30-40% more if not 50% more :-) according to some figures.

I always believe it's better to have too many than not enough :) no matter for sponsors, for speakers or for publicity (and the press). It would be excellent if everybody sitting on the stairs or floor in order to listen to some great talks, no? Otherwise if they cannot get inside the hall, some can actually stay outside to interact with the booths, or see the demo at our GNOME 3 booth.

We are planning to have 3 types of online registration. As we have
decided to have 2 days conference, we have increased the registration
amount little bit.

1) Student          - Indian Rs 250 (~ $5)
2) Delegate         - Indian Rs 500 (~ $11)
3) Corporate Delete - Indian Rs 2000 (~ $44)
what's corporate delegate? who are they?
What's the difference between delegate and corporate delegate? :)
Speakers, Conference committee and students of Dayananda sagar Institute
will have to register on spot as they won't be charged anything.

Since you suggested to only waive entrance fee of 100 students of Dayananda Sagar college, we also need to think about how should we handle the additional students, those beyond 100?
If we ask them to pay on the spot, it's not fair for the 101+ students to pay 17$ :) Should we just charge them 5$?

I also think it's good that the students of DayanandaSagar are not necessary to register online, it gives more quota to other people, and we will have more chance to make a more accurate estimation. While depends on the attendance rate, we can always give more free quota to the students of DayanandaSagar since they are so nice to give us their venue for free. What do you think?

In the meantime, all rules of entrance fee should be written very clearly

I am not sure how will we handle delegates who are from sponsored
companies ?

According to the call for sponsor, they will have Complimentary Passes, we can have a level of pass they can select from the registration form, so they can register online as well.

Since they are sponsors (our customers:) even they forgot to register online, we should have the flexibility to allow them to join us anytime by registering on the spot. Maybe we should consider to have badges to give away esp. to speakers, sponsors, volunteers with their name tags as well

There are two more sub-events (Student Training and How to make money by
GNOME) which will require registration and if we want them to be covered
in online registration, we may have to create a separate page.
For student training, who will be our target participants, can we also accept non- Dayananda sagar Institute students to join?

For business sections, yes, we should definitely use a separate form.
Please let me know your thoughts. By next week, we should have our
registration system up and running.
I agreed, we should definitely do that :)