Re: Suggestion on participant registration

2011/2/10 Pockey Lam <pockeylam gnome org>
Dear all,

Online Registration and quota

After reviewing the past years figures (reference below), it seems the best way is to prepare lunch coupons and give to participants (who registered online in advance) on a first come first served basis. While the canteen charge us depend on the amount of coupons redeemed. This way, we will not waste any food or money :)

We should highlight this message on the registration page, "Only a limited amount of lunch coupons (300 - let's confirm a figure) will be given on each conference day on a first come first served basis.
For participants without lunch coupons, please have lunch in the canteen (paid by yourself) :)

This sounds reasonable to have a fix number for the coupons. We give the coupon each with FCFS rule. This is easy to prepare for the lunch.

We need to estimate the actual number based on the registration number.

Besides, I would suggest to open the registration for longer period say "until 1 week before the event day i.e. if we open registration on 1st March, we probably should close it on 20th March. We can consider not to set any quota as it's always better to have a lot of participants on the spot, for pictures, for the atmosphere, for everything

Registration fee

- Akhil and Bharath said they may consider charge registration fee online in order to attract them to actually join the conference
- since the entrance fee is not a big amount, it will also depend on the transaction fee, akhil is checking the fee
- in order to attract participants to register online in advance, we may also consider to set some rules e.g.
 a) lunch coupons will not be given to those who didn't registered online
 b) the entrance fee for walk-in participants will be higher (e.g. 50% higher)

Any comment / feedback will be appreciated!

Reference

2008 => We gave away lunch coupons (to redeem lunch box in the university canteen) to those who registered online on the conference days on a first-come-first-served basis (and of course to all the speakers, sponsors, exhibitors and volunteers)
In the 2008, the first day I orders 300 lunch buffet, almost 280 people go to the canteen. The second I ordered 250 because there are less people in the second day. The actual number is 200.

2009 => We only provide lunch boxes to volunteers, sponsors, exhibitors and speakers (not to participants, so it's very easy to calculate the amount of lunch boxes needed)

2010 => We prepared lunch boxes to every registered participants (online) and we wasted huge amount of lunch boxes...
I remember in the 2010, the second day, we prepare less lunch box based on the attendees in the first day.

Online registration and actual attendance figure:

1st day:
Morning : 800 out of 1282 (attendance rate: 62%)
Afternoon: 933 out of 1282 (attendance rate: 72%)

2nd day:
Morning: 448 out of 1282 (attendance rate: 35%)
Afternoon: 977 out of 1282 (attendance rate: 76%)

Remark: 1,150 lunch boxes / day were prepared

- Pockey