Re: Updates about the GNOME.Asia2009 bits

Hi,

Some more updates

On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 5:40 PM, chen Emily <emilychen522 gmail com> wrote:

> What's the candidate date for GNOME.Asia Summit 2009 ?  How long is the
> examination period for students?
> Form our experience, the majority of the volunteers are from students.
> Involve students is really helpful.

I met with a couple of potential hosts over the weekend and, the idea
is acceptable to them.

We are looking at first week of December 2009 for this. The reasons
for that are:

* getting students involved
* allowing US speakers (if they choose to attend this - they should) to travel
* getting logistics teams at universities well in tune with expectations
* getting the accommodation bits frozen

> Besides the students, some local community can also join the volunteer's
> team. Like Bangalore Linux Users Group, GNOME Users Group or other local
> open source community. I guess they are willing to contribute to build the
> first GNOME event in India.

This is something that is being worked upon post the blog from
Sayamindu and, help from a large number of quarters.

> Maybe we can think about ask for registration fee for this Summit. Not too
> much, like 10$ or 20$ and students can get a special price. In this way,  it
> is better to control the participants' number and cover part of the Summit
> cost.

We are in good shape to nail down the venue and dates by the coming 2
weeks so that we can start working aggressively on the following:

- Theme of the Summit
- website and CfP
- Sponsorship ie. raising the money (always an important task)
- PR using every possible forum

As an aside, I feel a lot of positive energy today and, what looked a
big task around 2 weeks back now seems pretty much do-able (although I
fear that there will be phases when I will have to hit the wall with
my head)

There is a question though - is it a good idea to start a subtle
marketing bit by asking out a larger group of GNOME developers about
this and getting them interested ? Since we have 8 months to go, it
should work out nicely for a couple of them to make travel
arrangements

~s