Re: GNOME ASIA 2009 Update

On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 2:21 AM, Will LaShell <will lashell net> wrote:

> Personally,  I think we need to continue the formal conversation of this
> via email. That gives us a record of what has passed, and is fairly
> transparent.

I generally prefer the same. However, I have noticed that IRC somewhat
mirrors the way we speak and can capture the essence of a
'conversation' much more informally than an e-mail. And, then there is
the fact that I tend to be go -vv over email.

Having said all of that, I noticed that we never discussed what our
expectations are from the event. And, we have been going through
rounds of names etc. So, what do we (ie. the local folks) expect from
this event ? Somewhat simply put - we expect the event to lay down the
foundation structure of a process to increase the quantum of
participation in FOSS projects in India (especially GNOME) and,
provide a long term and sustainable model so as to enable newer
contributors to be coached, guided and introduced to upstream projects
of relevance and importance.

That is why I had pointed out that the event lends itself in shape and
form to the local needs. For example, there are already 300+ *UGs in
India in the domain of FOSS. Any other *UG would actually end up
feeding from the pool thus making it more abstract. And yet, the
current need is to ensure a workflow which could get a grasp of the
huge surge of interest in FOSS that is coming up via the student
community and figure out how GNOME and other upstream projects can
collaborate and coordinate to teach them the best of skills.

Lastly, I guess it is somewhat redundant to point out that the
economic situation has changed over a period of one year. The impact
of the downturn in India is fairly strong and, is evident by the slow
(or, no) movement of the various indices. This has been seen in the
various events that are either forced to curtail or, cut-back in terms
of agenda so as to get things going. From that perspective, it would
be really difficult to raise monies for an event of any decent scale
that can build the foundation for the next year and, get something
relevant and practical on the ground. For example, during the last
year, desktop sales in India have been taking a hit with
{note|net}book sales seeing an upward trend. One of these OEMs push
out around 7000 units per day. And, approximately 90% of them are
Linux preloaded of which 100% are non GNOME. To get them interested
and involved in an area that is of their interest and get them engaged
with the GNOME Foundation per se, it makes sense to approach in a
format with an event they feel comfortable investing in. And, there
are more of such folks in India than ever before. Including start-ups.

So, that's what it boils down to - the system does not seem to have
monies if we have an event that is too niche or specific. And, with
the recent acquisition, one of the larger GNOME contributors in India
is going through a churn.

I fully comprehend that what we feel as locally relevant and required
may or may not fit in with what the vision the GNOME.Asia summit team
and the GNOME Foundation would have. And, that is where we would end
up needing to take a decision on whether we should ask around a bit
more for folks interested in organizing GNOME.Asia09 ie. opening up
the call to host.

> Several times last year we would get on Skype between Emily, Alfred and
> I to discuss Summit operations. That should be an option for you as
> well.

I tend to not like Skype. If getting on a call becomes imperative,
I'll scout for a toll-free # to use.

~s