Re: [Anjuta-list] Grave problem with the debugger

Michele Bendazzoli ha scritto lo scorso 10/03/2006 16:11:
> Johannes Schmid ha scritto:
>

>> The debugger in 1.2.4 is buggy and has never been tested on 64-bit
>> platfrom so it might simply not work at all. We work on the debugger for
>> 2.0.2 and hope that it will be much better.
>>
>> Anyway, try if you can debug the code with the gdb command-line or
>> with ddd.
>>

> Uhm ... I come with Anjuta because of beauty of graphical debugging
> environment ...

I fully agree with you (and not only for the graphical debugging -
Anjuta is a real-word beatiful IDE); anyway, I think that some knowledge
 of what is behind can be usefull, and gdb is so powerfull...

> Maybe I should try the 2.0.2 version of Anjuta? Is usable to made a real
> project?
>
>> The only things I noticed are:
>> - - compiler options window in anjuta does not affect the projects but
>> only single files. You need to run configure as Carlo pointet out to set
>> the correct options for a project.
>>

> In the options tab of the compiler and setting window, i write -O0 -g in
> the additional CFLAGS Text box.
> Is this what Carlo and you mean?

No; Anjuta has an ancient issue about this and simply will add to your
Makefile the new flags without removing default ones (at least AFAIK). I
use to write down the CFLAGS="-O0 -ggdb" directly into the parameter
message box that Anjuta prompts when asking a Genera->Configura... (in
our locale ;-) ), or issueing by command line:

$ ./configure CFLAGS="-O0 -ggdb"

> I try to rebuild all and one of the last line of build page report seems
> to report correctly: "gcc -O0 -g ..."
> However after this step the result is the same: the debugger simply
> doesn't work.
>
>> - - You definitly need to set a breakpoint or the program will simply run
>> to end! "Step" does only work when a breakpoint is (really) reached.
>>

> I try all the possibily combinations almost always with the same result.
> One time a succed to reach a breakpoint without a disabled debug toolbar
> seeing, but at the next step "into method" the debugger died. At this
> point I think it is a problem with the Amd64 architecture.

There is only a way to be sure of this: run your app from inside gdb
(even if its text-mode interface can look ugly, it's not so bad after
you know some basics). Just to perform this test, you can simply follow
these steps:

$ gdb your_app
gdb> b main
gdb> run