Re: [anjuta-devel] release of gtkpod 2.0

Hi

Just thought I would let you know that gtkpod version 2 was released
about a week ago.

Cool!

For anyone not aware, it successfully utilises the libanjuta platform
for its windowing and plugin architecture but has its own set of
plugins.

Anyway, if anyone wants any further details then let me know.

What I would actually be interested in is to split up libanjuta into a
generic application framework part and a all the specific widgets that
we need in Anjuta but that aren't useful to anything else. Like having
libanjuta and libanjuta-ui. I don't think I will have time for this but
if you want to try it could reduce the amount of code that you carry
around.

Looking at the framework, I am not sure it is as much a case of splitting
up the application and splitting the rpms/debs into sub-packages.
libanjuta tends to come packaged with anjuta so it does confuse that when
installing gtkpod, anjuta (a C/C++ IDE) needs to be installed as well.
This might be an easy first step to consider.

The other thing is maybe examining gtkpod for borrowed code, like the
function creating the anjuta-app structure and anjuta-about.c and
splitting that out into its own skeleton that a wizard could create, and
devs override. This is what eclipse and netbeans do when creating RCP
applications.

On a cautionary note, anjuta 2 / 3 obviously has changes to its internals
and it is up to gtkpod to keep in step with such modifications. However,
could I request that any changes to API of especially libanjuta be
reported to your mailing lists to give us a clue that a future version of
libanjuta would be incompatible with current gtkpod development?

Thanks for your time.

Regards

PGR

--
Laws are partly formed for the sake of good men, in order to instruct them
how they may live on friendly terms with one another, and partly for the

You fiend! Never have I encountered such corrupt and foul-minded
perversity… Have you ever considered a career in the church?
Bishop of Bath and Wells (Blackadder II)

A clear conscience? When did you acquire such luxuries, Bernard? (Sir
Humphrey, Yes Prime Minister)