Re: Gnome 2.11.91

On 8/9/05, Jeff Waugh <jdub perkypants org> wrote:
> <quote who="Elijah Newren">
>
> > ftp://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/desktop/2.11/2.11.91/
>
> Please always use http links, it's softer on the servers (worth getting in
> the habit now). Suite dirs look good.

Okay, noted.

> > Also I made a quick rough draft or brain dump of how to make a release.
> > Nothin' pretty yet, but it has all the basic needed info, I think.
> > http://live.gnome.org/ReleasePlanning/MakingARelease.  It'd be great if
> > others could sanity check, especially those that have done releases
> > before.
>
>  * You can redirect the output of release-news to the correct NEWS file,
>    avoiding the manual copy.

Right.

> Regarding changes, these should really be proposed publically before being
> struck out straight off the bat.

I asked before because it looked like decisions already had been made
and I just didn't know what they were; see
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/release-team/2005-August/msg00010.html
and
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/release-team/2005-August/msg00064.html.

> > libgtkhtml/gtkhtml2 -- nuke it;
>
> Evolution uses libgtkhtml.

No, it uses gtkhtml3 (cvs module name and tarball name of gtkhtml).
yelp and devhelp used to use gtkhtml2 (also known as libgtkhtml) but
have moved to gecko.  I'm not aware of anything using
libgtkhtml/gtkhtml2.  Murray didn't include it in the 2.11.5 and
2.11.90 releases (though accidentally?), so at very least doesn't
appear to be causing problems without listing it in the release.

> > pyorbit -- wiki is probably wrong to list libgnomeui et. al. though I'll
> > wait to hear back from Murray before changing the wiki;
>
> These things ought to be proposed, not just added.

Sigh.  In my previous email I pointed out that our 2.11 module listing
claimed that gnome-python had been accepted (which is true, I remember
that happening).  The strange thing is that it lists about 5 or so
submodules of gnome-python that are included, and 2-3 of those depend
on pyorbit which is not listed as being accepted.  It appears that the
2.11 module listing is in error--either it lists too many submodules
of gnome-python, or pyorbit should be listed.  I don't think it's a
community consensus thing--it's a "What is the error and fix here?
I.e. What did we mean by earlier consensus?" issue.

Thanks,
Elijah