Re: Release questions...

On 8/8/05, Elijah Newren <newren gmail com> wrote:
> - As stated before, libgtkhtml hasn't been part of the release for
> 2.11.5 and 2.11.90, though its listed on our modules.  I'm not aware
> of anything using it (yelp moved to gecko as far as I understand).
> Should we just remove it?

Believe so.

> - Similar question for gal--it was part of previous releases but is no
> longer being used by anything else in the release.  Just remove it?

I thought we agreed to nuke this one when Matias asked us about it?

> - pyorbit is not listed among the modules in the bindings release.
> However, gnome-python is.  gnome-python can be built without pyorbit,
> but only certain parts of it.  The strange thing is that libgnomeui,
> libbonobo, libbonoboui are all listed as subparts of gnome-python that
> are in the bindings yet those are the parts that cannot be built
> without pyorbit.  Something is wrong there.    Should pyorbit be in
> the bindings release, or should the gnome-python set not list so many
> submodules on the wiki?

Murray?

> - evolution-exchange is not in the jhbuild set, yet it is in the
> desktop release.  Is there any special reason for this that anyone can
> see?

None that I know of; I'd vote 'fix it in jhbuild.'

> - gnome-mime-data appears in the versions files and in platform
> releases since 2.7.2, but it does not appear under the wiki.  (It does
> appear under the platform modules listed for 2.9 at
> http://www.gnome.org/start/2.9/platform/).  Is this just an error in the wiki?

I believe it is now supposed to be obsolete/removable, but you might
want to ask one of the vfs guys about it.

> - pkgconfig is part of bootstrap in jhbuild, yet we have it in the
> platform release.  That seems odd to me.  Should it?  (I.e. it seems
> like we should remove it and call it an external dependency, or else
> add it to jhbuild's gnome-2.12.modules file, or something)

Yeah, I agree it should be an external dep- doesn't make sense for it
to be in the release. Should be in the hypothetical fd.o release, at
any rate ;)

> - jhbuild doesn't contain rules for building either the java or perl
> bindings.  Does it make sense to add them?

To jhbuild, you mean? ISTR there was a separate modules file for the
java stuff. No clue about the perl stuff.

> I have a python script that takes the current jhbuild gnome release
> moduleset (i.e. gnome-2.12.modules for now) and automatically creates
> a tarball version of that moduleset including dependencies (i.e.
> gnome-2.11.91.modules and freedesktop-2.11.91.modules) and a versions
> file (for use with the release scripts) by doing lots of searching on
> the web for the latest tarball releases of all the relevant modules.

Urk. Shouldn't you be able to walk the ftp server for that, instead of
searching the web?

> It seems to work (although I've only run 'jhbuild list' with the new
> moduleset after removing the pyorbit dependency so I don't know if it
> really works yet), but the problems above make the versions file
> require some hand-editing (and I'm not sure what the right edits are
> in some cases).
>
> Also, are others interested in this script?  Where would be a good
> place to stick it (and the helper file(s) for it), if so?  (Note that
> my python skills suck so the code may not be the greatest)

Seems like it would be very useful. maybe under
http://cvs.gnome.org/viewcvs/releng/tools/ ?

Luis