Re: Release questions...

On 8/8/05, Luis Villa <luis villa gmail com> wrote:
> On 8/8/05, Elijah Newren <newren gmail com> wrote:

> > I have a python script that takes the current jhbuild gnome release
> > moduleset (i.e. gnome-2.12.modules for now) and automatically creates
> > a tarball version of that moduleset including dependencies (i.e.
> > gnome-2.11.91.modules and freedesktop-2.11.91.modules) and a versions
> > file (for use with the release scripts) by doing lots of searching on
> > the web for the latest tarball releases of all the relevant modules.
>
> Urk. Shouldn't you be able to walk the ftp server for that, instead of
> searching the web?

"the" ftp server?  Gnome depends on a lot of other stuff (howl,
isocodes, shared-mime-info, cairo, dbus, hal, fontconfig, etc., etc.,
etc.), and even a number of gnome things aren't on ftp.gnome.org (e.g.
gstreamer).  Besides, walking the ftp server isn't a whole lot
different then walking some download site given a starting url (the
hardest part is definitely just attempting to compare file and
directory versions).

Plus, there's problems with cvsmodulename != tarballname, and there's
lots of extra crap in gnome-2.12.modules that we wouldn't care about
when making a release (and definitely wouldn't want to wait for a
script searching for tarballs of that stuff).  And it wouldn't hurt to
have the script create the versions file needed with the release
scripts automatically, show the unneeded modules that were ignored,
show modules that don't appear in jhbuild's setup that you normally
expect in a release, and list all the modules for which it couldn't
find a tarball...  Man, I could have gotten so much other stuff done
instead of trying to do this; oh, well, it was a fun exercise in
learning python.  ;-)