Re: hacking nm-applet

On Friday 03 of September 2010 12:19:32 rain blue wrote:
> Thanks Jirka's reply
> my steps:
> 1. I want to replace nm-applet
> 2. I wrote the user through the GUI to config (and I provided Network DBUS
> API)
> Name called: org.myself.Network
> (So I want to look for function can be applied )
> 3. Set the way that only selected a.wire b.wifi c.3.5g d.disable
> 4. Contents set: gateway static ip dns mask
> 5. After set up, I will automatically connect.
>
> I would like to make the above process
>
> ps: keep only one config for each interface
>
> So I do not know how to get from nm-applet that the function of these
> settings config
>
> I really don't know how to do.

I'm sorry, but I still don't see what is your issue, exactly. Do you want to
get rid of nm-applet for some reason? Why? Or do you just try to work around
some problem you can't solve with the applet?

BTW, you can use static IP configuration with both system and user connections
(provided by nm-applet). Just edit your connection via the connection editor
and select 'Manual' method on 'IPv4 Settings' tab.
And you can have just one connection (config) for each interface (the 'Device
MAC address' on 'Wireless' tab can be used to force that the connection is
used just for the particular interface).

As for the command line, both cnetworkmanager and nmcli (part of
NetworkManager now and a replacement for cnetworkmanager) just activate a
connection. They don't provide a means to create new connections (settings).

> BTW, i try to use gconf tool that deviate modify gconfig not create, right?

Using gconf-editor or gconftool-2 you can both create new and modify existing
connections. For more info, you can see:
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/networkmanager-list/2010-June/msg00211.html

If I didn't answer your questions, please describe your problem or use case
more precisely.

Jirka