using Beagle's index Re: beyond text Re: Attaching Meta-Data

Yes. I agree with Julian. This synonym expansion has not been shown to
improve search effectiveness. But it is a worthy project Veer and we
could have a small checkbox which should allow the user to do this
rather than by default. Comments, Julian?

But here is yet another suggestion. We should make use of Beagle's index
for many other purposes depending on what dimensions a document is
similar to another. For example, a document can be similar to another
document in the dimension of text (same tokens). Or in the dimension of
metadata (same author). Or in the dimension of looks (screen rendering
of papers). Or in the dimension of how it sounds (signal waveform). Or
in terms of people (instant messaging, email CC's). Or what other
documents are included within (clipart insertion). When such a match
happens, the cluster of these similar documents should be having similar
tokens "attached" to them. Atleast the top ranking ones for these set of
documents. In other words, the Beagle indexer not only extracts the
tokens from documents and places them in an inverted index, but it does
some crude matching as well. It should keep working in the background
silently trying to make sense of all the chaos that we are generating by
going about our tasks. No AI here folks. Just simple multi-dimensional
matching :-)

For example, suppose we have some photos and at some point we have
attached tags like "picnic", "hiking" to them. All the photos in this
batch have similar specs (look the same or have close timestamps or same
EXIF information). The tags should be shared among them. Further, if in
the future we have similar photos (in terms content or EXIF) coming in,
the Beagle indexer should catch them and tell the user of the tags that
could be potentially attached to the new ones. It is Beagle's index who
has the knowledge of what document(s) has what tags/tokens. Let me try
to make some screenshots if this is not clear.