Re: beyond text Re: Attaching Meta-Data

You are talking about synonym expansion.

This needs more than a standard ispell/aspell type dictionary, as you
need the semantic relationships of words. The only big, not-paid-for,
dataset like this that I know of is WordNet, which is english; I think
there are efforts to make similar sets for some European languages.

It is only rarely useful; many search engines used it in the late 90s,
but it is not now normally turned on. It mildly increases recall, but
vastly reduces relevance; most searches return too many items anyway, so
this is not often wanted.

In many cases, a good thesaurus tool (a front end to WordNet?) will
allow you to do the expansion youself.

Julian