Re: Indexing mail attachments & files inside Zip/tar.

On Mon, 2004-10-18 at 16:44 -0400, Alex Graveley wrote:
> I think this is somewhat unnecessary.  I can't remember a single time
> I've needed to find something in a tarball that I haven't unzipped
> beforehand.  When you get a tarball, you either immediately unzip it,
> or
> keep it around to unzip later.

* This is of a scenario wherein you download a tarball, whereas, more
common scenario is a "backup.tgz".  Mostly people end-up archiving their
work-documents, mails, logs etc and keep it in a backup store,
essentially a "/backup" partition or sort of.  Such scenarios demand
"search" inside tarball.

> Thats not to say that finding a tarball isn't very important.  But I
> think finding a tarball is unrelated to its contents usually.

* Well an HR department could have a huge-massive archives of *resumes*
and "content" search on those archives would be a great *boon* to them.

Not just HR department, departments like finance, purchase etc normally
have huge archives of invoices, purchase bills etc which if they could
search using the "content" will be amazing.

> Finding one has more to do with the context of what you were doing
> when
> you got the tarball, the webpage you downloaded it from, the email or
> aim message where it was sent to you.  You don't search for the
> contents
> of a tarball (which you probably haven't seen), you search for how you
> got it.

* attaching meta-data is one of the prime focuses of beagle, though,
some real life scenarios demand such features as well. ;-)

V. Varadhan.