Re: Indexing mail attachments & files inside Zip/tar.

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 18:53:24 -0700, Veerapuram Varadhan
<vvaradhan novell com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-10-18 at 16:44 -0400, Alex Graveley wrote:
> > I think this is somewhat unnecessary.  I can't remember a single time
> > I've needed to find something in a tarball that I haven't unzipped
> > beforehand.  When you get a tarball, you either immediately unzip it,
> > or
> > keep it around to unzip later.

I dunno.  Although I'm brand spankin' new to Beagle, et al, I've been
around long enough to have used and praised something like Lotus
Magellan.  For those who weren't using PC's in 1990,  Magellan was a
superb product that indexed and searched just about every file format
known in DOS.  Of course, it was all GUI-fied, but it was fast,
accurate, and really useful. It's one of the few DOS apps I miss to
this day. Beagle will be a fantastic product if it delivers the same
capabilities.

And, Magellan indexed and searched compressed files. I found it useful
then and I'd find it useful now.  A compressed file, after all, is
just a file.  If I have more than one, I don't really want to expand
all of them just to figure out which archive contains the file I'm
looking for.

billg