Re: [Banshee-List] Banshee 2.6.1 won't update 4th generation iPod Shuffle

On 12/01/14 22:43, Tom Williams wrote:
On 01/12/2014 01:35 PM, Tom Williams wrote:
On 01/11/2014 05:15 PM, "Andrés G. Aragoneses" wrote:
On 11/01/14 21:16, Tom Williams wrote:
On 01/11/2014 10:08 AM, "Andrés G. Aragoneses" wrote:
Hi Tom thanks for writing.

Banshee uses libgpod library to access Apple devices. Have you checkes
on libgpod's website if your device is 100% supported?

Thanks
Thanks for the reply!   I haven't checked libgpod's site, personally,
but the fact my iPod does work with a different Ubuntu system makes me
Define "different Ubuntu system"? What version of Ubuntu, what
architecture, what version of Banshee?

Both Ubuntu systems are 64-bit Ubuntu 13.10 systems.  Both have
Banshee 2.6.1 installed and both are using libgpod 4.3.2.  Today, I
tried a Linux Mint 16 (64-bit) system, which also has Banshee 2.6.1
and libgpod 4.3.2, and that's not able to update the iPod either.
So, I tried my personal Ubuntu 13.10 system and now it's also behaving
like the other Ubuntu system, which originally had the problem
updating the iPod.

So, as of right now, I can't update my 4th gen iPod Shuffle using any
Linux system to which I have access:

Ubuntu 13.10 (64-bit)
Linux Mint 16 (64-bit)

all systems running Banshee 2.6.1 with libgpod 4.3.2.

believe the iPod is supported.  I use Banshee on two different Ubuntu
systems.  Initially, I loaded some music on the iPod using iTunes on
Windows XP and I loaded the rest of the music using Banshee on an Ubuntu
I don't think you can happily mix WindowsXP sync and Ubuntu sync, you
have to decide which OS you are going to do the sync with, and stick
with it.

I started out using iTunes on Windows XP to load music and was able to
add music from either iTunes on Windows XP or on my main, personal
Ubuntu system without issue until recently.   Even on the Linux Mint
system I mentioned above, I was able to add music to the iPod.  So,
something must have gotten corrupted on the iPod.  If necessary, I can
reset the iPod and reload my music.  That won't be a problem.

system.  The Windows XP system was replaced with another Ubuntu system
and it's this new Ubuntu system I'm having the Banshee issue with.

I suppose I should generate a debug log on the working Ubuntu system for
comparison. Perhaps there might be a clue as to why one system works
with my iPod and the other doesn't.
Yes, but tell us the differences in versions first. And check the
libgpod's site first of all, just in case it gives us better clues there
too.

Right now, I have libgpod 4.3.2 installed on the Ubuntu systems and
I'll confirm if that's the latest version or not, with the libgpod
maintainers and I'll report back here.

Ok, it appears I've got libgpod 0.8.2 installed:

Version: 0.8.2-7ubuntu4

The latest version available from the libgpod maintainers is version
0.8.3.  Version 0.8.3 looks to be part of the next release of Ubuntu,
14.04 "Trusty Tar".

You could already download a 14.04 iso for a preview version and test.
Nevertheless, I have the feeling it won't help.

And I have the feeling that, if you reset your iPod, and you manage it
with Ubuntu without using WindowsXP at any time, then it will work.

Let us know!