Re: [Banshee-List] Do we have any examples of the anonymous statistics benefitting users yet?

2010/3/19 Gabriel Burt <gabriel burt gmail com>
What is wrong w/ the Mono packages the Ubuntu/Debian Mono teams ships?

Nothing as such. I am guessing that Daniel would wish for 2.6 packages to be present. However the upcoming Lucid release is an LTS and while 2.6 has a lot of nice features the talent that makes up the Debian and Ubuntu Mono team have wisely decided to focus on 2.4. The packages are well tested, works and currently tracks the supported LTS release of Mono which makes sense for the platform. If there are any bugs I am sure both Debian/Ubuntu and Novell would be highly interested due to the support commitments.

I have also heard rumours that a PPA installable version of newer Mono releases might become available. Such work however is not likely to take place till after the Lucid release as there are more present concerns such as getting the bugcount under control. This is the rational and sane thing to do in my mind if the object is to serve the user with the best possible experience.

The hardwork that is put into Mono on Ubuntu in my mind makes it one of the absolute finest platforms to run Mono and more importantly Mono using applications. Not only do you get a well supported Mono stack maintained by true heros but there's a whole heap of cool extras to discover such as Hyperairs daily Banshee snapshot PPA which really makes testing effortless and pleasurable.

- David