Re: [Banshee-List] metrics

El 04/03/10 17:32, David Nielsen escribió:

> 2010/3/4 Gabriel Burt
> <gabriel burt gmail com
> <mailto:gabriel burt gmail com>>
>
>     2010/3/4 "Andrés G. Aragoneses"
>     <knocte gmail com
>     <mailto:knocte gmail com>>:
>     > El 03/03/10 19:45, Gabriel Burt escribió:
>     >> Hey all,
>     >>
>     >> So opt-in, anonymous usage-data collection went into Banshee
>     1.5.4, as
>     >> most of you probably heard.  Since the release a week ago, over 500
>     >> users have already opted in.
>     >
>     > IMHO 500 users seems a very small number to start taking decisions.
>     > Furthermore, as written in this message to mono-list[1], it seems the
>     > opt-in preference is enabled by such a low number of people (2 out
>     of 53
>     > in ArchLinux). So I'm wondering if it would be interesting to ask this
>     > question (apart from having it in the Preferences dialog) the
>     first time
>     > Banshee is run? If we do this, I believe the number of anonymous
>     metric
>     > senders will grow significatively.
>     >
>     > Thoughts?
>     >
>     > [1] http://lists.ximian.com/pipermail/mono-list/2010-March/044581.html
>
>     500 isn't a bad start (and certainly not for the first week).  And
>     it's infinite more real-world data to make decisions on than we had
>     before.  It's never too early to start discussing what certain results
>     could mean and how we could respond to them - even if we wait for more
>     data to see which way to go.
>
>     We've steadfastly avoided a startup wizard/dialog in the past, and I
>     don't think this question alone warrants adding one.  But if we add
>     one in the future (to ask for/scan the music folder, and/or ask if
>     should be the default media app) maybe it could be added there.
>

> Perhaps not a wizard but something like the colored slidedown menu in
> nautilus as seen in the trashcan?

+1
I love this idea, it's the best of both worlds between bugging the user
before running and hiding an important option in the preferences. It's
actually the same technique that Mozilla chose when they were criticised
about showing their LicenseDisclaimer on the splash screen: now you can
only see a similar top bar the first time you run:

http://mozillalinks.org/wp/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/ubuntu_start.png

Regards,

	Andrés