Re: [Banshee-List] metrics

2010/3/4 "Andrés G. Aragoneses" <knocte gmail com>:
> El 03/03/10 19:45, Gabriel Burt escribió:
>> Hey all,
>>
>> So opt-in, anonymous usage-data collection went into Banshee 1.5.4, as
>> most of you probably heard.  Since the release a week ago, over 500
>> users have already opted in.
>
> IMHO 500 users seems a very small number to start taking decisions.
> Furthermore, as written in this message to mono-list[1], it seems the
> opt-in preference is enabled by such a low number of people (2 out of 53
> in ArchLinux). So I'm wondering if it would be interesting to ask this
> question (apart from having it in the Preferences dialog) the first time
> Banshee is run? If we do this, I believe the number of anonymous metric
> senders will grow significatively.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> [1] http://lists.ximian.com/pipermail/mono-list/2010-March/044581.html

500 isn't a bad start (and certainly not for the first week).  And
it's infinite more real-world data to make decisions on than we had
before.  It's never too early to start discussing what certain results
could mean and how we could respond to them - even if we wait for more
data to see which way to go.

We've steadfastly avoided a startup wizard/dialog in the past, and I
don't think this question alone warrants adding one.  But if we add
one in the future (to ask for/scan the music folder, and/or ask if
should be the default media app) maybe it could be added there.

Gabriel