Re: [xslt] XSLT 2.0

OK. So we've established that noone has enough time to do this, but we'd like it done anyway.

Last night I was going through the XPath 2 and XSLT 2 specs (as you do... they are good bed-time reading) and I reckon that given the existing libxml2/libxslt codebase as a starting point hopefully its not too bad. Some of the functionality is already in EXSLT and will need to be migrated across into the core libraries (eg, exslt:node- set, exslt:document, date-time functions, etc). See below for a quick appraisal of what new features are required.

My overall plan is to work out what are the low hanging fruit and deal with those first. Then look at the more pervasive changes. Accordingly, functionality is gong to be delivered incrementally.

I've started writing up an element-by-element implementation matrix, which I will post to a website/wiki soon.

Here's the list of new features:

Features for libxml2

* data type changes: support sequences
* syntax changes: support FLWR, conditional, quantified expressions and expressions involving type
* implement operators and functions

Features for libxslt

* support XPath data types: support sequences
* sequence constructors: create document nodes, sequence construction
* multiple result trees
* user-defined functions
* tunnelling parameters, parameter and variable data typing
* deep copy
* grouping
* regular expressions
* reading text files