[xslt] Problems with XMI processing (namespace declarations)

Greetings,

I have an xslt script for processing the XMI output of various UML
modellers.  I've encountered a problem with the way the script, run
under xsltproc,  handles XMI output from Poseidon.  Poseidon specifies
XML namespaces in the .xmi file like this:

<XMI xmi.version = '1.2' xmlns:UML = 'org.omg.xmi.namespace.UML'
xmlns:UML2 = 'org.omg.xmi.namespace.UML2' timestamp = 'Fri Dec 15
12:13:05 CET 2006'>

In that form I get no template matches at all in the UML namespace.  If
I manually change the namespace declaration to:

<XMI xmi.version = '1.2' xmlns:UML =
'http://schema.omg.org/spec/UML/1.3' xmlns:UML2 =
'http://schema.omg.org/spec/UML/2' timestamp = 'Fri Dec 15 12:13:05 CET
2006'>

then the matches work. Is the output from Poseidon legal?  If so, why
won't xsltproc match with it's declaration?

Thanks in advance,

--
Peter Howard <pjh northern-ridge com au>