Re: [xslt] libxslt performance problem

On Wed, 2007-03-01 at 20:39 +0200, Kaarle Kaila wrote:
[...]
> My application could not create the report in one go so I had to split the
> report into 4 parts 1000 families in 3 parts and the indexes in part 4. To
> create one such report from a memory based dom-tree takes 3 min 30 secs
> using libxslt. My Java test-application could manage the whole report (of
> 2900 familes) but required additional heap space. Where do I specify the
> heap space for libxslt.
>
> I made a comparison using saxon 6.6.5 takes 25 s.

XSLT is general enough that you can write transformations that go very
slowly indeed, often by mistake :-)

There are people processing far larger amounts of data with libxml
(e.g. I routinely process a document with some 14,000 entries in a
few seconds using either libxslt or saxon.).  Without looking
at your style sheets it's impossible to help you assess performance,
and you might find one of the XSL mailing lists, such as that at
mulberrytech.com, helpful there.

As for heap space, is libxslt crashing hard? Is there an error
message?  It sounds like this might be under MS Windows -- what
other applications are running?  How much memory was libxslt using,
and how much memory does the computer have?

Liam