[xslt] Removing <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1"> from html output

It appears that xsltproc automatically adds the line

to html output. Although it's easy to change the output charset, I
haven't found a way to prevent the entire line from being output.

I've got a situation where I'm trying to convert XML source to a
format that is only loosely based on html; the <meta http-equiv...> is
not supported with the <head> tag. I'd like the output to look like:

<head></head>

Is there a method for turning off the <meta http-equiv...> added by xsltproc?

Thank you,