Re: [xslt] Any interest in an alternative syntax for XSLT?

On Thu, Aug 24, 2006 at 01:26:26PM -0400, Phil Shafer wrote:
> Daniel Veillard writes:
> >  Something like posting to xml-dev and see what is happening.
> Sounds reasonable.  Will do.
> >  Assuming it was the case, how long would you help maintain the module
> >code ?
> O(years).  I wrote the code over a year ago, and it's shipped as
> an EFT feature for nearly a year.  I've been w/ my current company
> going on eight years, and want to see this succeed.  That said, no
> one can predict the future.
> FYI: here's some size info on the code (wc -l):
>      161 slaxInternals.h
>     1615 slaxloader.c
>     1673 slaxparser.y
>     1196 slaxwriter.c
>     4645 total
> slaxloader.c and slaxwriter.c include simple unit-test oriented main()
> function (#ifdef UNIT_TEST).

  Okay, that looks small, but using yacc is a problem, especially for code
in a library (not all bison/yacc allow to link twice code generated, barring
other code from using it, can be a serious problem), plus in general I
don't trust yacc to work well with unicode, and you need full unicode support
when dealing with XSLT. So independantly of the syntax that would be
a problem. I assume SLAX should handle the same ranges of characters (and
encoding) as the underlying XML model and implementation, right ?

Red Hat Virtualization group
Daniel Veillard      | virtualization library