Re: [xslt] key() in match pattern of xsl:key

On 2005-12-13 16:05:07 -0500, Joel E. Denny wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Dec 2005, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> > Unless there's a way, through an extension, to access the RTF in
> > another way, e.g. with document().
>
> You're referring to exslt:document, right?

Well, it does what I was suggesting, but this will lead to an
unnecessary linearization. I don't know if the generated document will
be parsed or not, though. You can specify a DTD, which means that you
should be able to use IDs, but in this case, I assume that the
document will be parsed (in case the DTD contains default attributes,
for instance). However, this all depends on the implementation.

> I know little about exslt:document and IDs. Reading the spec for
> exslt:document at http://www.exslt.org, its relationship with keys
> and IDs doesn't seem very well defined.

There is no relationship, exslt:document just generates a document.
Then you can read back the document with document(), and IDs are a
standard XML feature.

> Your idea seems like a good one where supported, but, even if I can
> figure it out for libxslt, I worry about portability. At least with
> keys referencing keys I can be sure I'll be fine with XSLT 2.0
> processors... and apparently even a few 1.0 processors (still need
> to explore that more).

Yes, if this is implemented, then this is fine.

But supporting XLST 2.0 features in XSLT 1.0 processors isn't more
standard than supporting extensions like exslt.

--
Vincent Lefèvre <vincent vinc17 org> - Web: <http://www.vinc17.org/>