Re: [xslt] key() in match pattern of xsl:key

On Tue, 13 Dec 2005, Vincent Lefevre wrote:

> On 2005-12-12 13:38:28 -0500, Joel E. Denny wrote:
> > The total O(n*log(n)) is better than O(n^2), but lookup time for the final
> > RTF would be O(n) rather than the O(1) for real keys.  Of course, the n
> > here is much smaller than the n of the original document. Nevertheless, it
> > would be nice to be able to construct a key off of the final RTF, but keys
> > referencing variables is prohibited in XSLT 1.0 (even before the errata),
> > and I've already seen posts from Daniel supporting that rule.
>
> An idea would be to try to generate an intermediate RTF (with enough
> information in it) in such a way that keys referencing variables would
> no longer be useful.

Let's not forget the original problem: compute a key representing a set
difference.

I found that the computation is much faster if an intermediate key can be
referenced.  You're suggesting an intermediate RTF instead.  However,
Daniel has previously stated that he will not support keys referencing
variables, so computing a key from an RTF shouldn't be possible.

If you're also suggesting replacing the final key with an RTF, then lookup
time will worsen from O(1) to O(n).  The more information in the RTF, the
worse.

Does this make sense?

Thanks for your suggestions.

Joel