Re: [xslt] Thread Safety Changes

On Tue, Jan 28, 2003 at 10:23:38PM -0800, Peter Jones wrote:
> Hey listers. I saw that there were some talks about thread safety and
> libxslt a while back. There is even a bug open (102365). I would like to
> volunteer to make a few small changes that I think will give libxslt a
> push toward thread safety.
>
> 1. xsltInit() in xslt.c should be public, not static.

  Makes sense, RFE it in bugzilla,

> 2. _xsltStylesheet should have a xmlGenericErrorFunc member so that when
> any function calls xsltTransformError with a NULL context, but valid
> xsltStylesheetPtr, it can use that instead of xsltGenericError.

  yes, same RFE,

> 3. xsltParseStylesheetProcess may need to be slightly changed so that
> client code can call it with a custom xsltStylesheetPtr (one with an
> error handler set). Right now we call xsltParseStylesheetDoc, which does
> not give us control over the xsltStylesheetPtr. It does not appear that
> a call to xsltParseStylesheetProcess is directly supported because
> xsltParseStylesheetDoc makes calls to xsltGatherNamespaces (which is
> static) and xsltResolveStylesheetAttributeSet.
>
> Any comments? Are there other known issues that I am missing here?

Changing the internal Stylesheet processing APIs are not the right solution
IMHO, I would rather add a new entry point for parsing a stylesheet where
an error function and context can be provided too. I.e. keeping the API
function oriented and trying to preserve data structures allocation and
content as private as possible.