Re: [xslt] xsltproc memory consumption w/ large DTD / docbook

On Sun, Feb 02, 2003 at 01:21:45PM +0000, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
> On Sun, 2003-02-02 at 13:17, Daniel Veillard wrote:
> >   it does not allow validation of the fragment, as a result not very
> > reasonable for a publishing use IMHO.
>
> but you can vavlidate the fragment against a schema. or override the DTD
> using your own xmllint's
> 	--loaddtd : fetch external DTD
> 	--dtdattr : loaddtd + populate the tree with inheritedattributes
> 	--dropdtd : remove the DOCTYPE of the input docs

  it's actually by using --dtdvalid
But the internal subset won't be taken into account. This is not the
DTD validation semantic as defined by XML-1.0 but a variation on it :-)

> >   not for character entity definitions in publishing space, there is
> > no replacement and charrefs are not meaninful to a human brain.
>
> so you use a decent Unicode editor in the first place...

  well lot of people edit the XML at the serialization level, and
ȴ is not very intuitive at that level ... Editing UTF-8 or
as you say an Unicode editor is one way around this, right.

> >   We are still for docbook publishing working in a DTD based framework.
>
> not for long, though, since I understand Docbook will
> have schemas soon. and of course anyone can generate automatic
> translations using a variety of tools.

  DTD won't go away soon, especially since the various flavors of
schemas don't handle the entity functionalities at this point. We can
hope for a better future, but still one need to fix the problems
arising right now :-)