Re: [xslt] xsltproc memory consumption w/ large DTD / docbook

On Thu, Jan 30, 2003 at 09:00:45PM +0000, Sebastian Rahtz wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-01-30 at 21:00, Norman Walsh wrote:
>
> > Just make sure that you *do* validate with something.
>
> but not every time you process it. running a transformation
> to XSLT does not need a DTD, after all. the problem

  In that case, yes it does. They make use of entities defined
in the DTD.

> of entities defined in a DTD is easily overcome by
> pre-processing the whole lot through a DTD-aware identity
> transform.

  DocBook stylesheets also use unparsed-entity-uri() and that
requires knowledge of the attribute type defined only in the DTD.

> it seems to me that anyone building a web site by defining
> a giant single virtual document can invest a little time
> in a Makefile, or the like.....

  That's true. But the problem is usually to maintain cross
references over the whole set of document like indexes. Currently
unless designing some sort of incremental database, it's impossible
to do that directly with XSLT without requiring to process the
whole set at each build.