Re: [xml] libxml2 cross-compilation && Python

On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 06:09:58PM -0700, Billie Alsup wrote:
The libxml2 configure script sets PYTHON_LIBS as

        PYTHON_LIBS=`python$PYTHON_VERSION-config --ldflags`

How is this expected to work in a cross-compilation environment?
For example, I am on an x86_64 host building for arm-linux.
So by running this command, I'll always get a library path for x86_64 libraries.
Note that I can't run the arm-linux binary on my x86_64 host.

How is this expected to work?  Is it expected that you can already run your target binaries on your build
host (using some simulator)?
Should Python support be explicitly disabled when cross-compiling?
Should the configure script be tweaked to massage the output to replace the -L line with something that
involves $prefix?
Am I completely confused and doing something wrong?  Missing command line parameter?

  I don't know how to make this works in cross compilation schemes.
How on the build host could libxml2 configuration learn about the
specific flags used by your ARM target version ? I have no idea,
if you don't either, I guess disable Python until you can build
natively ! Or check how other projects do and suggest a way to do
things, but in a nutshell, I don't know !

Daniel