Re: [xml] libxml2 messed up MonoTouch and Interface Builder

On Tue, Nov 09, 2010 at 04:01:02AM -0800, Mark Rowe wrote:

On 2010-11-08, at 08:40, James Wright wrote:

I tried to install libxml2 yesterday for a Ruby side project of mine.
[...]
After that I went back to my MonoTouch iPhone development and noticed that MonoTouch would no longer work.
Now I don't actually get any error and am working with the MonoTouch people to figure that out, but if I
try to use Interface Builder in OS X it errors when I try to create a new .xib file with this message
(pastbin link).
The most important part of the message is this:
    â Thread 0 Crashed:  Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread
    â 0   libxml2.2.dylib                     0x00000001004f9b88 __xmlRaiseError + 888 (error.c:614)
    â 1   libxml2.2.dylib                     0x00000001004fa5b7 xmlErrEncodingInt + 151
(parserInternals.c:206)
    â 2   libxml2.2.dylib                     0x00000001004fc326 xmlCurrentChar + 550
(parserInternals.c:707)
[...]
Based on your description it sounds like you've overwritten your
system copy of libxml2 with a copy that you built yourself from source.
Replacing system components of Mac OS X in this manner is not supported.
It's likely that the version of libxml2 you've installed is incompatible
with the Mac OS X system frameworks in some way which is leading to
the crashes that you're seeing.

  Of course that got me curious. Do you have any specific patches
which could lead to such errors if not embedded in ? Except a change
in the way encoding are provided I don't really how such an error
could happen. Not that I suggest replacing system libraries, but
I wonder if you have patches which should be upstreamed,

  thanks !

Daniel