Re: [xml] problems with zlib 1.2.5?

On Wed, Nov 03, 2010 at 09:38:57AM +0100, Daniel Veillard wrote:
On Tue, Nov 02, 2010 at 10:48:29PM +0000, higuita wrote:
Hi

    I'm using the libxml2 2.7.7 with zlib 1.2.5 in a
slackware64-current system and i'm having crashes in firefox
and in claws-mail RSS feeder plugin.

    in both cases i see that libxml2 is called then zlib,
returning a crash. Downgrading zlib and libxml2 to the last
stable slackware release the problem disappears (libxml2 2.7.6
and zlib 1.2.3).

  http://xmlsoft.org/news.html
  2.7.7
  Bug Fixes: libxml violates the zlib interface and crashes (Mark Adler)

[...]

    So is there any known or new problem of libxml2 2.7.7 with zlib
1.2.5? or should i try to build zlib with debug and report back?

  So 2.7.7 should avoid the bug precisely, but for any zlib more recent
than 1.2.4 (IIRC) 2.7.7 should work, not crash. Are you sure it's not
a problem with an embedded version of libxml2 in your browser ?

The crash is in gzdirect() and the only call to that function is
through the new codepath, so I doubt that.

Higuita, does the new libxml2 also crash with the old zlib?

Daniel

cu
Adrian

       "Only a promise," Lao Er said.