Re: [xml] Regression test questions

On Nov 25, 2008, at 5:19 PM, Rush Manbert wrote:

HI,

I just got libxml 2.7.2 and have built it on the Mac under OS X 10.5.

The make generates quite a few warnings, so I am interested in the test results.

I ram "make tests" and it generates lots of output. The last few lines are these:
## Module tests
module error : failed to open .libs/testdso.so
## examples regression tests
Unable to open test2.xml
diff: reader1.res: No such file or directory
I/O warning : failed to load external entity "test3.xml"
Error: unable to parse file "test3.xml"
Usage: ./xpath2 <xml-file> <xpath-expr> <value>
diff: xpath2.res: No such file or directory
I/O warning : failed to load external entity "test3.xml"
Error: unable to parse file "test3.xml"
Usage: ././xpath1 <xml-file> <xpath-expr> [<known-ns-list>]
where <known-ns-list> is a list of known namespaces
in "<prefix1>=<href1> <prefix2>=href2> ..." format
diff: xpath1.res: No such file or directory
diff: io2.res: No such file or directory
diff: tree2.res: No such file or directory
Unable to open test2.xml
diff: reader1.res: No such file or directory
diff: writer.xml: No such file or directory
diff: writer.xml: No such file or directory
diff: writer.xml: No such file or directory
diff: writer.xml: No such file or directory
Failed to parse test3.xml
Unable to open test3.xml
diff: reader3.res: No such file or directory
diff: io1.res: No such file or directory
I/O warning : failed to load external entity "test1.xml"
Failed to parse test1.xml
I/O warning : failed to load external entity "test2.xml"
diff: tree1.res: No such file or directory
test1.xml: failed to create reader
diff: reader4.res: No such file or directory
I/O warning : failed to load external entity "test2.xml"
Failed to parse test2.xml

This looks ominous, but make doesn't report any errors. Is this the expected result when the tests pass?

After this, I tried running the four test programs mentioned in README.tests. The only one that is problematic is runtest, which reports this:
Total 508 tests, 1 errors, 0 leaks

In the course of running the tests it has spewed out thousands of lines that report errors of one sort or another. My question is how do I figure out what the one real error is that is being reported?

Thanks,
Rush

I'd like to add a supplemental question. If my goal is to run the full make, then run all the tests and verify that they pass, should I just use the check target? DSo I need to run any of the command line test programs outside of make?

- Rush