[xml] xmlGetNodePath and default namespaces

Hi,

I've been writing some code using the version of libxml2 that is shipped with OS X 10.4 and using xmlGetNodePath to list the elements in my files (which use a default namespace). I recently switched to the latest version and now, instead of a listing of names I get things like /*/*[3].

Looking at the archives and the code I see that in tree.c there is a comment (around line 4318) that says:

    /*
    * We cannot express named elements in the default
    * namespace, so use "*".
    */

I understand that this change was to ensure that XPath useable strings were returned, but that doesn't do me any good as I don't know what I'm getting back if I use the string since I don't know what the element is.

How should I go about extracting the names of the elements?

Thanks

Andrew
--
Dr Andrew Jackson