Re: [xml] Forcing the xml:base attribute for included files in the same directory

On Wed, Jul 02, 2008 at 06:12:03PM +0200, Wieant Nielander wrote:
BTW I know there have been some discussions about xml:base fixup
being required by the XInclude standard, but under Eclipse we use
Apache Xerces which has a feature to switch off 'fixup-base-uris'.
This allows us to use XInclude without going through updating each and
every Schema file.

  This is dangerous. The reason of the URI base fixup is to garantee that
URI references done from the XInclud'ed documents stay valid after the
inclusion. If you don't do the fixup you basically break URI References
done from within the document:
  http://www.w3.org/TR/xinclude/#base

  It can be disabled in XInclude at user option, libxml2 implements this.

In order to use the same with xmllint we have patched libxml2 to
provide a --nofixup-base-uris option preventing xml:base fixup at all
(moreless the opposite of what Catherine wants), would there be any
interest in this patch?

  You would have to define what --nofixup-base-uris actually does,
it's unclear. At least it doesn't seems defined in a standard way.

Daniel