[xml] Forcing the xml:base attribute for included files in the same directory

Hi,

I have a question regarding the omission of the xml:base attribute when
including a file located in the same directory as the includer. I've
read, in an old newsgroup post, that this was done on purpose
when the xml:base support was implemented
(http://sources.redhat.com/ml/docbook/2003-03/msg00101.html)

Is there a workaround for this? In other words, is there
a way I could force the parser to add the xml:base attribute for all
inclusions, regardless of their directory?

I'm hoping to implement an error-reporting and coverage tool for
xml-embedded code, and using the xml:base attribute seems like the least
invasive way to locate a code snippet. (I'm using libxml 2.6.22 by the
way, but could consider an upgrade if essential. However, nothing in the
release notes indicated that this behavior had changed)  Of course, we
can always
move the files around so that includer files will always be in a
directory of their own. But I'd prefer a more elegant solution if possible.

Thanks,

Catherine