Re: [xml] xmllint as minimal non-validating parser?

On Mon, Sep 17, 2007 at 06:58:59PM +0200, Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:
* Daniel Veillard wrote:
A missing entity definition if the external subset
is not fetched is an error, not a fatal error, ...

An error would be "A violation of the rules of this specification";
the example document given in this thread does not violate any rules
of the XML 1.0 Recommendation, for all that I can tell. You might be
confusing this with entity references in attribute values.

I had kind of thought what Bjoern says, though I don't claim a
comprehensive knowledge of the spec.

Does the specification explicitly state that a missing entity
definition is an error when the external subset isn't fetched?
Or is that an inference from something else that the spec does
say?  I'm not trying to quibble here, just trying to learn.

As far as I been able to see, the specification doesn't say how a
non-validating processor is supposed to include internal general
entities that are not defined within an internal DTD subset, when
they are encountered in the content of a document with an external
DTD subset that the non-validating processor is not loading.  I'm
probably missing something, because that seems like such a common
case.

Thanks,
Chuck
--
Chuck Bearden (cbearden rice edu ; 713.348.3661)
XML Engineer, Connexions