Re: [xml] XPath crashes with 2.6.27 - any workaround?

On Mon, Sep 17, 2007 at 05:58:52PM +0200, Stefan Behnel wrote:
Hi,

we keep getting bug reports from lxml users about XPath crashes with libxml2
2.6.27 when errors occur (such as an unknown function). This has been fixed in
2.6.28, however, 2.6.27 happens to be pretty frequently installed on Linux
systems, so people keep using it and then complain when it crashes.

  Sorry, backport of bug fixes is left as a work for the distro maintainance.
I do that for RHEL for example, otherwise, either upgrade or get the given
distro to distribute a bug fix. That's one of the places where distributions
can actually compete, but here in upstream we fix bugs in head.
  Different goals, different jobs, different prices.

Is there anything we could try to work around this problem? I would at least
like to detect it when errors occur *before* libxml2 crashes.

  Since I don't know how the error manifests itself, I can't answer how you
could prevent it, but IIRC it's a double free in an XPath evaluation, I see
no way to catch that upfront exept doing preanalysis of queries.
  The version number is available from the API if you want to warn.

Daniel