Re: [xml] Minor documentation path for libxml/xpath.h

On Wed, Mar 21, 2007 at 09:16:40AM -0700, James Dennett wrote:
  Cool, but mail seems to have mangled your patch,

Tragically I have to use Outlook here, and it mangles a good fraction of
all e-mail that passes through it.

  heh

can you instead
regenerate
it with svn diff -p and send them as mail attachement which are
usually
perserved by various mail programs, thanks !

svn diff -p xpath.h
gives
svn: '-p' is not supported
with my subversion, version 1.3.2.  (Building subversion on Solaris is
all kinds of trials; each version gives different obscure errors either
during configuration or build.)

However, I can use
svn diff -x-p -diff-cmd gdiff xpath.h

and the output is attached to this message as xpathpatch.txt (though
it's passed through a Windows machine and as such Bad Things may have
happened to the text file).  If this is still the wrong format, let me

  Nah, that worked just fine, applied and commited, thanks a lot !

  Usually you should not need to modify the context, except somethings
set up the current node or document (and there is no accessor for this
requires direct change of the public structure).

It's not that I *want* to modify the context.  It's that certain libxml2
functions do so in ways that may not be documented -- in particular, I
noted that evaluating an expression using a context appears to change
(at least) the current node within that context.  I might change my
wrapper to restore the node after the expression has been evaluated, but
without documenting the contract of the libxml2 functions I can't know
that such behavior is sufficient or appropriate.

(Our current workaround, and probably a good idea in any case, is for
our XPath expressions to be absolute ones.)

  Right evaluation may change the node (and possibly the doc but only in
an XSLT context so it should not affect you). In any case if you have
relative expressions, then you definitely need to set up the node before
calling the evaluation. Other items which influence evaluation are
namespaces/nsNr the context namespaces, here/origin used in XPointer,
registered functions and the dictionnary if any . But those should not
be modified by evaluation.

  thanks again !

Daniel