Re: [xml] XML validation

Daniel Veillard wrote:
On Mon, Jan 15, 2007 at 05:52:19PM -0800, Rush Manbert wrote:

Yan Seiner wrote:

I have an embedded system that uses XML extensively. Many of the XML files are modified and generated by other software. I am looking for a simple XML well-formedness checker, something I can point at an XML file and tell the user that s/he has a problem with file xyz.xml around line YYY or maybe element XXX.

Does any such thing exist? I've found RXP, but it doesn't use libxml.... I really don't want to introduce more stuff into my (already bloated) embedded box...

The obvious answer is xmllint

  yes

(which needs a DTD).

  no :-) . Well formedness is tested just by running
    xmllint --noout file.xml

and only well-formedness errors will be printed there, and possibly some
warning (which can be suppressed with --nowarning).

Oh. Cool! I've never used it without a DTD. Sorry for the misinformation and thanks for the clarification. I have a use for this...

- Rush