Re: [xml] Questions about xmllint: possible bug?

On Mon, Apr 16, 2007 at 09:15:09AM -0500, david hagood gmail com wrote:
I have a couple of questions about xmllint, including what I think may be
a bug:

First of all, is it possible to tell xmllint NOT to complain about a
missing <DOCTYPE> entry, or failing that, to not complain about a missing
DTD?

  Where does this come from ???
xmllint do *not* require, use, nor even fetch the DTD ... unless you are asking
for it. Sorry doesn't do that for me.

The reason is that I am wanting to use a RelaxNG schema for
validation (as it will allow me to be "tighter" in my validation than a
DTD can be), and I cannot synthesize a DTD from my schema (trang cannot
handle the fact that I use the same sub-element name two different
elements, among other problems).

Obviously, if somebody can point me at a tool that can do the RelaxNG to
DTD conversion better than trang does, I'd far rather generate a DTD and
have that in the XML.

  If you have 2 elements with same name and different content model this
is obviously impossible to express with a DTD, no too will fix that, the
language is just misdesigned !

Second of all, xmllint is, in my opinion, mis-reporting where errors
happen: consider the following XML

  yes that happens, especially when the content model forces to backtrack
to a different branch in a validation.

xmllint --version
xmllint: using libxml version 20623

  Very first thing to do as pointed in the help page:
    http://xmlsoft.org/bugs.html

 Update to the latest version !!!

Daniel