RE: [xml] Will xmllint use schematron?

Thanks Daniel for you very explicit and prompt reply. ;--)

John

-----Original Message-----
From: Daniel Veillard [mailto:veillard redhat com]
Sent: Wednesday, 11 May 2005 4:48 PM
To: Hockaday John
Cc: xml gnome org
Subject: Re: [xml] Will xmllint use schematron?

On Wed, May 11, 2005 at 04:08:15PM +1000,
John Hockaday ga gov au wrote:
Hi,

I have noticed that schematron is not mentioned the man
pages for xmllint.
From this I expect that xmllint doesn't handle schematron.

  right

If this is the
case is there any plan to add schematron capabilities to
xmllint and if so
when will that happen?

  It happens when someone feels the urge to implement the support for
it, provide the code, and maintain it. So far I have no such
urge myself
it's the first time I get such a request, and we already have
support for
3 validation languages DTD, Relax-NG and Schemas (that
Kasiemir is working
hard to try to finish). The fact that I don't feel like doing
it should
not prevent people from attempting to add it, the code must
just follow
existing libxml2 Licence and coding practices. One thing to
point out is
that people already consider libxml2 "bloated" so one would need some
justification to be provided if the implementation code is large.
  I read http://www.schematron.com/iso/ quickly. I didn't
understand it.
It seems it would require XSLT and EXSLT so it would not be
implementable
at the libxml2 level since XSLT and EXSLT are provided in
libraries separate
from libxml2. It seems "when" is then never as far as I can tell. But
that could be implemented as a separate tool on top of
libxml2/libxslt/libexslt.

Daniel

veillard redhat com  | libxml GNOME XML XSLT toolkit
http://xmlsoft.org/