Re: [xml] Windows Binaries And The Web

Bruce Miller wrote:
Rich Salz wrote:

Can you implement a tomcat filter that looks to see if someone is asking
for the "latest" version and if so send them an http redirect?

Nice suggestion! I like that idea.
The usual approach of foo-latest.tar.gz symlinks is annoying
in that you end up with tarballs in your filesystem whose versioning
info is embedded inside.  It adds steps to figure out whether it _is_
the latest, what version it is, what version is installed, etc.

The downside is that, unless the redirect is sufficiently smart,
you've got to change the redirect in a server config, rather than
changing symlinks or editting html...

That wouldn't be a problem, I can program a filter specifically for this purpose. But, as I said, that won't cover FTP and FTP should work as well, possibly with the same URL, save for the scheme.

Another alternative --- if the source of the original links is under
your control --- would be to simply provide a link to the _directory_
/pub/libxml, rather than the individual files, and let the user
collect up all the current ones.

Those are foreign sites, the source of those links is never under my control.

Ciao,
Igor