Re: [xml] Windows Binaries And The Web

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005, Igor Zlatkovic wrote:

Both links refer to the same storage. Should I keep moving everything
but the newest stuff into the 'oldreleases' subdirectory, or should I
rather keep everything right there where it was released? Or would it be
best to even separate the packages in /pub/libxml, /pub/libxslt,
/pub/iconv and so on? Or any combination thereof? What do you think?

I frequently see people create a foo-latest.win32.zip file that's a
symlink to the most recent version (for example, foo-1.9.1.win32.zip).

This allows other sites to provide their users with a non-breaking
link to the latest version without needing to update their sites every
time a new version comes out.

At the same time, you can move around files without worrying about
these types of issues because you're only committing to having the
generic symlink stay in the same place.

BTW, if you go that route or make any other change, I can update the
PHP Manual to point at the new place for iconv and other files that
you're hosting. Let me know what you decide.

-adam

--
adam trachtenberg com | http://www.trachtenberg.com
author of o'reilly's "upgrading to php 5" and "php cookbook"