Re: [xml] libxml2-2.6.18 on freebsd

On Tue, 2005-03-15 at 15:49 -0500, Daniel Veillard wrote:
On Tue, Mar 15, 2005 at 12:29:42PM +0000, Alex Shaw wrote:
Hi, im trying to install libxml2-2.6.18 from the FreeBSD ports, there is a problem with the compile on
the system i am using. I have tried several versions of libxml2 and they all return the same error, which
means its probably not an issue involved with libxml, but I cant pin down where the error is coming from,
or what is causing the problem to occur. I was hoping someone on this list would be able to point me in
the direction of what is causing this.

The error is:
cc -O -pipe -pedantic -W -Wformat -Wunused -Wimplicit -Wreturn-type -Wswitch -Wcomment -Wtrigraphs
-Wformat -Wchar-subscripts -Wuninitialized -Wparentheses -Wshadow -Wpointer-arith -Wcast-align
-Wwrite-strings -Waggregate-return -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes -Wnested-externs -Winline
-Wredundant-decls -o .libs/xpath1 xpath1.o  -L/usr/local/lib ../../.libs/libxml2.so -lz -liconv -lm
-Wl,--rpath -Wl,/usr/local/lib
../../.libs/libxml2.so: undefined reference to `__signbit'

  paphio:~/XML -> grep __signbit *.c
  paphio:~/XML -> grep __signbit *.c include/libxml/*.h
  paphio:~/XML ->

Well, you should search for _signbit or signbit, since the compiler
may have prepended the _ for a static/private variable.

 Somehow your system or compiler includes are not in synch with your
installed libc, sounds bad, but you're right it doesn't sound like a
libxml2 problem.

Creative use of nm -o on each of the binaries should show which one is
calling for it, and may help.  Also make sure you can compile a simple
test program, e.g.

#include <stdio.h>
main()
{
    printf("hello world\n");
}

with (if it's in hello.c) gcc -o hello hello.c
and then ./hello to run it.

If that fails, (it might produce warnings, but it should compile and
run!) then you should consider installing gcc agin from binary packages,
and get OS-specific help from someone.

Liam

--
Liam Quin, W3C XML Activity Lead, http://www.w3.org/People/Quin