Re: [xml] Question on licensing of libxml2

Jeffrey,

On Tue, 2005-03-01 at 15:34 -0800, Jeffrey G Douglas wrote:
Hi --

I know that the libxml2 project is licensed under MIT. However, there
are a small handful of files that appear to be using variants of the
MIT license and I was wondering if there was a reason for that.
Specifically the files are trio.c, trio.h, triop.h, hash.c, list.c,
triodef.h, trionan.c and trionan.h. These files contain different
copyright statements and all the following license:

* Permission to use, copy, modify, and distribute this software for
any
* purpose with or without fee is hereby granted, provided that the
above
* copyright notice and this permission notice appear in all copies.
*
* THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED ``AS IS'' AND WITHOUT ANY EXPRESS OR
IMPLIED
* WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF
* MERCHANTIBILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. THE AUTHORS
AND
* CONTRIBUTORS ACCEPT NO RESPONSIBILITY IN ANY CONCEIVABLE MANNER.

which looks to be a slightly reworded, abbreviated version of the MIT
license. Is there any particular reason these files have this specific
license? I just want to be certain that these files are not exceptions
to the MIT licensing the rest of the project falls under.

The Trio project (http://daniel.haxx.se/projects/trio/ ; see also,
http://www.sourceforge.net/ctrio) is a third-party portability library
that is designed to be dropped into other applications such as is done
in libxml2. The license on Trio is specified as "MIT-like" on the first
page mentioned above. It is, in fact, more liberal than the MIT license
and does not prohibit using it in projects with different (or even more
restrictive) licenses.

Of course, insert all of the usual disclaimers here about me not being a
lawyer, etc. But the intention of the authors seems pretty clear.

Malcolm