Re: [xml] xml schema api

On Fri, Jun 10, 2005 at 11:57:56AM -0700, Yong Chen (yongche) wrote:

  first subscribe to the list. I won't manually approve your mail
bounces forever !

Thanks Daniel. I've checked the link. What I'm looking for is the access API
to the schema components.

  there is no such API at this point.

For instance, if I have a path "/a/b/c", I know by using Xpath I can get its
corresponding node in xml file, but that's not enough for me. I also want to
get its corresponding node (component) in that xml file's schema file.

  Hum, I don't understand, I don't see how XPath and schemas relate.

So the question is, if I have a path "/a/b/c", can I get the node
(component) of "c" in the schema file? Basically I want to get all the
description (type, attributes, etc) of "c" in the schema file.

  At the moment there is no such API. Schemas are a work in progress
and until it's complete I don't feel it is right to open up our internal
structures, we need to keep the possibility of redesign open.
  I don't see well how what you're suggesting may be done easilly.
I think you may have multiple definition for a given element name (I
may be wrong in XSD case, it's true for RelaxNG). I will not there
is not always one schemas file the type can be built from a number
of files.
  Kasimier may have a better understanding and answer to the question.
You should look into the existing implementations and push proposal forward
if you are really interested in getting this done. I don't see how
"all the description" for a type can be given easilly in an API, as
this is likely do be defined by recursive definition of subtypes in
the case of complex types. And opening up the data structure is a no-go
(at least at this point though it would be good practice).

Daniel