Re: [xml] Undefined character entities and libxml

On Fri, Dec 16, 2005 at 07:55:07PM -0500, Jon Smirl wrote:
I have things working now.

The help/man for --loaddtd wasn't enough for me to figure out what it did.
        --loaddtd : fetch external DTD

Second the ruby wrapper for loaddtd was broken,
XML::Parser::default_load_external_dtd. I've sent a patch to the
maintainer. This was was was causing me a lot of problems, I set the
option but it was not getting set because of the breakage in the C
wrapper.

Needing to install the DTD and use --loaddtd to fix the undefined
entity error was not obvious. It might make a good entry for your
libxml FAQ.  google didn't turn up a ready answer either.

  Hum, how would you phrase this ?

The xhtml 1.1 DTD is huge, fifty files. Is there some way to set
things up so that libxml can use a small DTD which only contains the
external subset in non-validating mode and then use the full one for
validating? I'd rather not parse 10,000 lines of DTD just to read a 20
line xhtml file.

  set an entity resolution handler (see the section on I/O in the doc)
and catch the request for XHTML1.1 then provide a reduced input.
XHTML-1.1 being a bit nebulous is probably one of the reasons it's
not very common.

Daniel